What You Should Know If You Are Facing
Foreclosure After A Natural Disaster

How to Avoid Foreclosure The most important thing you can do when you are having trouble paying your mortgage is to take control. In most cases, the worst thing you can do is do nothing. Taking control means taking four steps:

1. Make or answer a call for help Take control by
accepting calls from your mortgage servicer. Even
better, call your mortgage servicer as soon as you
know you can’t make your monthly payment. The phone number is on your
monthly bill. Tell your servicer why you are unable to
make your monthly payment, and ask the servicer for help
avoiding foreclosure.
2. Ask for free help from experts Your mortgage servicer can
help if you find yourself in trouble with your loan payments. If
you cannot get what you need from your mortgage servicer, ask for the
expert help with housing counseling agencies that are
located near you. Counselors can develop a
custom action plan and help you work with your mortgage company. Visit
consumerfinance.gov/mortgagehelp or call the
CFPB phone number (855) 411- CFPB (2372) to find a housing counselor
tested by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development
3. Stop Scams Scammers try to take advantage of
homeowners in trouble, charging them a
lot of money, even thousands of dollars — for false promises of help.
You do not have to pay anyone to help you avoid a
foreclosure. The help you need is available from your
mortgage servicer, at no cost to you, or through a
housing counseling agency approved by the US Department of Housing
and Urban Development. 1 of 2 Office
of Consumer Financial Protection Learn more at consumerfinance.gov.
4. Ask for help If you send a completed application to your servicer on time, your servicer has to tell you the options you have to keep your home, or if it makes more sense, get out of your home. Housing counselors have a lot of experience helping people work to avoid foreclosures. 

They can help you with the complicated steps of understanding your options and requesting help. Your mortgage servicer cannot make a first notice or filing of a foreclosure until you are more than 120 days late in your payments. Also, when you submit a completed application for mortgage assistance on time, the servicer cannot initiate a foreclosure while you are being evaluated or following the requirements of a loan modification. So get it done and don’t delay. The sooner you complete the application, the more protective measures you receive.

Be heard.

Having trouble dealing with your mortgage?
You may file a complaint with the Consumer
FinancialProtectionBureau in one of the following ways:
. File a complaint online at consumerfinance.gov/complaint
. File a complaint by phone (855) 411-CFPB (2372) TTY / TDD :
(855) 729-CFPB (2372)
. File a complaint by mail Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
P.O. Box 4503 Iowa City, Iowa 52244

We will refer your problem to the company and work to get a
response for you, give you a tracking number, and
keep you informed of the status of your complaint.